Oneness of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu

Since the origin of the Vaishnava and Shaiva cult, there have been differences between these two regarding the supremacy of one over the other. It was even instructed to followers of both the sects that –
Even if they are chased by a tiger, they should not take shelter in the temple of the opposite sect.
But the scriptures say that Shiva and Vishnu cannot be differentiated; as in essence they are the same. Let’s see what the scriptures tell about the oneness of these two Gods.
Shiva Purana states –
1. Vishnu resides in my (Shiva’s) heart and I (Shiva) reside in Vishnu’s heart. He, who does not differentiate us (Shiva and Vishnu), is especially liked by me (Shiva).
2. He, who takes refuge in You (Vishnu), definitely takes refuge in me (Shiva) also. He, who differentiates us (Shiva & Vishnu), goes to hell for sure.
3. He, who disapproves of You (Shiva) being my (Vishnu’s) devotee, should surely be sent to hell by You (Shiva). He, who is Your (Shiva’s) devotee, is extremely dear to me. Moksha or liberation is not unattainable for him who knows this truth.
4. O Hari! He, who has hatred for you, will definitely be punished by Me (Shiva). O Vishnu! I will give salvation to your devotees.
Padma Purana states –
Shiva says “O Narayana! Can anybody be dearer to Me (Shiva) than You (Vishnu)? What to tell of others; even Parvati is not equally dear to me like You (Vishnu).”
Narad Pancharatra states –
‘Shiva is Hari and Hari is none other than Shiva. An enemy of Shiva is an enemy of Hari, even though he may daily worship Vishnu.’
Sri Hari-Bhakti-Vilasa states –
He, who differentiates between the names and attributes of Shiva and Vishnu, commits the offence of Hari Nama Aparadha.
Vayu Purana states –
Shiva says “O Vishnu! O Eternal Deva! The entire visible universe consisting of manifested, un-manifested, animate and inanimate things are Rudra-Narayanatmaka (Shiva-Vishnu in nature). I am Agni and You are Soma, I am day and You are night, I am Truth and You are the cosmic order, You are Yajna (Sacrifice) and I am its fruit, You are knowledge and I am to be known. After pleasing You, devotees are able to enter into Myself. You are Prakriti (Nature) and I am Purusha (Primordial Male Entity), You are half of my body and I am also half of Yours, I am your left half and you are my right half (that’s why people call me Neela-Lohita). You are my heart and I reside in your heart.”
Brahma Vaivarta Purana states –
Vishnu says “Nobody is dearer to me than You (Shiva). What to tell more; You (Shiva) are my real nature (Atma-Swaroop). The fools who disapprove You (Shiva) are sinners. They will be tied with the ‘Kaal-Paash’ (Time noose) and suffer as long as the Sun and the Moon exist.”
Skanda Purana states –
He, who is Rudra (Shiva), is also Vishnu and He, who is Vishnu is also Mahesvara (Shiva). The unique relation existing between these two Gods is like the unique relation between Vayu (air) and Akash (Ether or Sky). There is no difference between these two Gods.
Vishnu is pleased with him, who has worshipped Shiva. Vishnu does not accept puja from a person if he has not offered puja to Shiva first. That’s why by all means one should worship Shiva so that his worship of Vishnu finds completeness.
Varaha Purana states –
Lakshmi is identical with Girija (Parvati) and Hari (Vishnu) is identical with Shiva. It is so declared in the Shastras and Puranas. Any Shastra/Kavya which states otherwise is not worthy of its name. He who speaks of difference between them is lowly (Adhama) and should be considered an atheist outside the field of “Dharma".
Ram Charit Manas states –
Sankar priya mama drohi siva drohi mama daas |
Te nar karahin kalap bhari ghor narak mahu baas || (Manas, Lanka, 2/4/2)
Translation - Lord Rama (Incarnation of Vishnu) says “he, who is fond of Shiva but has hatred towards me and he, who is my devotee but has hatred towards Shiva, will dwell in hell for ages."
So it is to be understood that Shiva and Vishnu are dear to each other. Though they are different as per the duties assigned to them in the cosmic order, in essence there is no difference between them. To highlight this truth they are worshiped as Harihara. Harihara is the name of a combined deity form of both Vishnu (Hari) and Shiva (Hara). Also known as Shankaranarayana ("Shankara" is Shiva, and "Narayana" is Vishnu), Harihara is thus worshiped by both Vaishnavites and Shaivites as a form of the Supreme God.
At last I conclude with this popular verse commonly uttered in prayers. It states –
शिवाय विष्णुरूपाय शिवरूपाय विष्णवे
शिवस्य हृदयं विष्णु: विष्णोश्च हृदयं शिव:
Shivaaya vishnurupaya shivarupaya vishnave |
Shivasya hridayam vishnuh vishnoshcha hridayam shivah ||

[(obeisance to) Lord Shiva who is of the form of Lord Vishnu and to Lord Vishnu who is of the form of Lord Shiva. Shiva’s heart is Vishnu and Vishnu’s heart (essence) is Shiva.]

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rathe tu Vaamanam drustva

How to attain Moksha or Liberation

Avatars of Lord Shiva